21 May 2009

pour some sugar on (this)

sometimes when i walk into the street, the distinctly yellow cabs of ny, the lumbering hip-joint double-length busses, and the elegantly iconic chrysler building make me say ‘holy shit, i live in the greatest city in the world’ (now i will read your mind… ) a. 'pottymouth', b. (insert envy here), c. 'no, boston/no, dc/no, philly' (but this post isn’t about you, is it? and you’re mistaken anyway, none of those are THE city), or d. ‘what’s the big deal about ny?’

i used to pick, ‘d’ but i don’t want to influence your choice.



let me tell you one thing that i’ve been grappling with. it is this: ny may well be the epicenter of leverage-all-current-and-much-future-income-for-daily-living. here though, there’s something to be said for the inevitability of exorbitant spending. do you know what rent costs here? i’ll get to that more later…

the ny dream is fundamentally different than the american dream of the south/plains/west. generically, there is no allowance for the acquisition of assets, nor is there interest in the idea. what i’m seeing is that the dream of my grandparents (sign up for a mortgage for a tiny house and pay it off a la rapide) is foreign here (remember that chinatown is local). i’m talking about grown-ass men and women with dual income in the hun-g’s renting- RENTING! a small apartment. the ny family has mastered cash-flow accounting. the game here is not played as advocated by the rich dad or the plumber next door. despite the ideals of my upbringing, it surprises me that this approach works just as well if it’s what you know/are comfortable with/gives you what you want (an on-the-books-impoverished, rich life in the city).

obviously ny isn’t all wealth and pomp. given the margin between the typical salary and the cost to breathe ny air and drink bloomberg’s water, you could argue that many of america’s poorest are my neighbors. they rely on you for sustenance, and i’m quite confident that if they gave two shits about you, they’d say ‘thanks’. but they’re entitled to it because of what they do for a living… live in ny with low-paying jobs or chronic pain or whatever. the ny middle class dream has these tenets: union job, pension, and perpetual bail-out.

i’m learning a lot from this city. here’s another freebie: how to walk to my own soundtrack (earbuds+pandora) … amazing how well the urban environment pairs with artists ranging from norah jones to def leppard. hell, there’s even a cowboy that plays in times square in his undies.

9 comments:

Alison said...

man g, youz crazy! maybe you should do something in your undies to make rent...

Megan Andersen said...

Now that would be worth coming to NY to see--G in his undies! Glad that your starting to feel a bit in your element, & enjoying your wild adventure. Before too long your going to be thinking that we are all just a bunch of Utahns that grow horns!! -jk-
Hey now I am totally being Utah & switching my blog over to private--so drop by & leave me your email when you get a sec.
Miss you guys!!!

The Cannons said...

Kiss your mother with that mouth? Elder Welch! NY is corrupting your soul. Next thing you know I'll hear you talking about how much you love the UN, how cap-and-trade is a great idea, and that global warming will be the death of us all! Al Gore for President of Earth!

I suppose that I too would be somewhat caught up with the glitz and glamour of the big city. But then I would remember Ulmo's warning to Turgon of Gondolin, "Love not to well the work of thy hands, nor the designs of thy heart." Miss you guys. I hope we can come visit while we still have peeps living in the Big Apple.

Scott

g said said...

sometimes when i type, the ghost of salinger whispers the right dirty words.

caseyandmelody said...

Salinger. Isn't it amazing how NOTHING has changed there all these years later?

I told you guys, once you get in, you're sucked in...FOR LIFE (you'll never forget your NY time. You'll wish you were still there, eh hem...like me).

Dinger said...

Glad G can get back to his classic writing now that school is over for a while. I suppose my foot would be tappin' to the sounds of Harry Connick or Sinatra, but I'm with you on the music thing. As for all you rent paying suckers. . . I quite enjoy my "little" house in the country, with my own lawn to mow, my garden planted, and my long jogs through the corn, onion, and potato fields. I don't have to hear or smell crazy neighbors in the middle of the night, and I go to bed with the sound of crickets in my ears. . .you'll miss it one day!

Darla said...

when can we come?

DARLA said...

So,
if we can't make it down there right away (even though I'm trying my hardest to talk Geof. into going real soon), then why don't you guys take a weekend and come visit us? PLEASE?!!

Darla said...

This probably isn't the best way to get a hold of you guys...but, I didn't want to get on Geof.'s phone and call you. Anyway, I'm trying to get Geof. up to NY (by bus, lol) on the 21st of August, for the weekend. Can we make this happen? OR, can Garrett get away that weekend and meet Geof. for a camping trip. I mean, seriously, Geof. needs some man time, big time! Give us/him a call!!!