20 August 2009

this moment is punctuated by you+me

when you don't know when you'll be back, watching your town get smaller through a window plays with your heart a bit. you remember your first view, you take inventory of new friends that you'll love your whole life and you contemplate the development of your own character.

you become aware of reality.

you examine your new strategies and empowering tools shared by some of the most brilliant and collected and interesting and insightful people you've ever known.

you keep watching; smaller, farther, smaller, she is eclipsed by a knoll, a road sign, a mailbox. you think of the innocent conversation of where to buy stamps and the beautiful relationships that stemmed from other tiny interactions.

you laugh that the common interests that were foundational and magnetic have yet to be enjoyed together, 'something for next time'. and you resolve that there will be a next time. how strange that i resisted coming: 'come on! new york? how many people get that chance?' we laughed when we realized: 'tens of millions'. i didn't expect that i would feel so much affection for this city. honestly i'm feeling like a damn hippie. i wouldn't have believed that among many millions my experience would be so tailored.

exploring this city completely would require a pause button and many lifetimes, so, again: there will be a next time. for now, i'm strapping my spurs back on and equilibrating to the new environs: horizons, hurricanes, heat, and humidity.

6 comments:

Dinger said...

perfectly stated! I'm gonna miss that city! Can't wait to meet Houston.

cswelchkins said...

YEEHAW!!! You two make it home wherever you are. I have no doubt you will love Houston, too.

Texas Welch's said...

That is exactly how Clay and I felt about leaving Wichita!!!! Houston will be another great experience.

Megan Andersen said...

I didn't know you guys were wingin' it back to Texas?? I guess I know now. good luck & keep us posted.

jaron said...

What are the plans in Texas?

Walter and Lynsi Hohmann said...

Walt and I set our blog to private. Send me an email to my email address lynsidawn01@hotmail.com so I can get your email to send an invite!